It's probably everyone can remember that moment in their childhood when you covered the first meters on two wheels. An indescribable feeling to explore the world with your own bike! From the very first second, a high-quality children's helmet should be a child's most loyal protector. No matter whether on the way to school or on the first trips together with the parents, a bicycle helmet is a must. Due to their lack of experience and their small size, children are exposed to numerous dangers in road traffic. Parents should therefore lay the foundation for safety on the bike directly with a suitable bicycle helmet for children. We help with many colorful designs and playful motifs to find the right children's helmet for little girls and boys.
Bicycle helmet in the bike trailer, on the child seat or in the Cargobike
Whenever your child is a passenger with you on two (or three) wheels, he or she should wear a helmet. The exception: before your offspring is safely seated, he or she travels in a baby carrier; lying down, of course, they can't wear a helmet. But if the little ones can then sit safely and (important!) are held securely by the harness system, they can wear a mini-helmet. Here you should be especially careful that the helmet is well fitted and does not leave painful pressure marks on the little head!
Bike helmets for children in the appropriate size buy
We offer a wide range of bike helmets for kids in all possible sizes in our shop. Here's how to find a helmet in the right size:
- Take your time when choosing and pick a time of day when your child is well-rested and in a good mood.
- Use a tape measure to measure the head circumference.
- With the measurement result, you can go straight to BMO to search. You can filter by head circumference, so you can find a selection of helmets for kids in the right size in a flash.
- In no case should the helmet be too big and fit too loose. The "it will grow in" principle is ok for clothes, but not for a bike helmet! But it should also not sit too tight and press.
- With smaller children, the online purchase is usually much less stressful than a shopping trip. Just order two or three helmets in the right size and let your child try on and choose at home at their leisure. Here on BMO you can then return the other helmets for 100 days. Sounds better than tantrums at the store, doesn't it?
- Most helmets are equipped with a adjustable inner strap so the individual head circumference can then be adjusted exactly. If the helmet fits comfortably and holds on the head even without a chin strap, it fits properly.
- You can also adjust the chin straps. You want them to form a triangle around your ears first. When you close the strap, you should be able to slide one to two fingers between your chin and the strap.
- With a child's helmet, this distance is especially important! When you snap the buckle, you should always have a finger between the clip and the skin so you don't pinch the sensitive skin.
- There's extra choice for larger children and teenagers, as they can also wear a smaller helmet for adults. However, the helmet must not be too big, then it cannot protect the head sufficiently.
This is what you should look for when buying a kids bike helmet
- If the helmet is not cool enough, it quickly ends up in the corner, especially for older children and teenagers. To make sure that doesn't happen, we of course have stylish head protection for teenagers in our store. You can order helmets in every imaginable colour, the many colourful designs help to make the helmet appealing to your child. Whether it's blue, pink, green, or neon, if you buy a helmet in their favorite color, chances are they'll wear it.
- If tastes change, colorful stickers are a great way to freshen up the look of a kid's helmet.
- A helmet that doesn't fit pinches and squeezes. Not good conditions to be in! Pick a helmet in a good size and fit and check regularly to make sure it still fits!
- Many kids would rather wear a skater helmet than a bike helmet. Since skating involves different falls than biking, skater helmets are not always appropriate for bicyclists. There are some skater-style helmets here on BMO that are also approved for use on a bike.
- When in doubt, bribery helps. A scoop of ice cream, some cool biking gloves for kids, a bike seat for the teddy ... eager helmet wearers need to be rewarded!
- Helmets with the DIN standard EN 1080 are tested specifically for children, helmets for adults carry the standard EN 1080. The GS seal, the CE seal or the TÜV confirm extensive product tests.
Full-face helmet for children
Early practice, who wants to become a champion. Everyone in the sport has probably heard this phrase before. So that the next generation of downhill racers and freeriders can really let it rip at a young age, we also have full-face helmets for kids. Such a helmet is equipped with an additional chin bar, so that your child is also well protected on rough tracks. They are in no way inferior to helmets for adults and so the young stars of tomorrow can hit the ground running today.
Of course, parents should serve as perfect role models for their children, so it's best to always wear a bike helmet yourself. For adults, there is also a wide range of different helmets and so nothing stands in the way of the first bike ride together. By the way, the helmet should always be removed immediately when your child gets off the bike. On the playground or in nature, the risk of injury increases, as kids can get caught on the helmet or get trapped.
The information on standards and laws are without guarantee!